Share your best experiences in Alsace with #visitalsace
Chased out of Sélestat during the Revolution, Franciscans from Metz were authorized by the Bishop of Strasbourg to settle there again, shortly after the Great War, in 1919. They first occupied a house dedicated to Saint Anthony of Padua in the rue de Scherwiller. Quickly cramped, they wanted to expand their convent and build a church. They will settle in Saint-Antoine. The neo-Gothic church will be built by the architect Adolphe Molz, in pink sandstone for the façade stones, rather than concrete, as initially planned. It was completed in 1931. The organ installed in 1992 comes from the Saint-Vincent-de-Paul chapel of the Teppe in Tain l'Hermitage (Drôme), then built by Joseph Merklin in 1885. Stained glass windows from the Ott Frères workshop in Strasbourg illuminate the place and represent episodes from the life of Saint Anthony. The carved sandstone pulpit is remarkable. The deep choir has a high altar topped by an imposing calvary. Particularity of the place, the arms of the transept each accommodate 2 side altars. Very imposing crib that can be contemplated between 25/12 and 02/02.
- Altitude : 174m
- Distance to the nearest station (km) : 0,8
- Comments on disabled access : Access by the north door, by inclined plane
- Languages spoken : French, German, Alsacien, English
Opening times and days are liable to change according to circumstances. Please take all the necessary precautions.
- Opening hours and sales service available : Open to the public, No vaccination pass required
- Protective measures : The service provider declares to respect the sanitary protocols, Hydroalcoholic gel available