Intended for the Oberlandesgericht or High Tribunal of Reichsland, which was too cramped in the palace of the Sovereign Council, this building was inaugurated in 1906. The construction started in May 1902 on the former site of the experimental vineyard of the Horticultural and Viticulture Society. The building was designed by the architects Kuder and Müller in a German neo-baroque style.
Colmar is the regional judicial capital since the arrival of the Sovereign Council in 1698. From the Revolution it has a superior court, called Court of Appeal, imperial Court or royal Court, according to the periods. The superior court of Alsace-Lorraine succeeded in 1918 to the Oberlandesgericht who settled with the annexation of Alsace by Germany. It became again the Court of Appeal in 1923 and is today still in the same building.