Share your best experiences in Alsace with #visitalsace
The belfry with its gable roof, rebuilt in gothic style in 1220, is now the only surviving part of the original Roman church. As the nave of the earlier church was delapidated and had become too small, it was demolisched in 1807 and replaced by the present vast nave, built in the "barn" style in 1808 and 1809.
A visit of the interior of the church is recommended to admire the splendid porch from the original church. The doorway is dominated by an admirable tympanum, representing Christ in Majesty, blessing the world, in the compagny of Saint Peter and Saint Paul. Below, the scene represents the parable of the wise and foolish virgins.
This doorway also houses a sculpture in polychromed wood, called "the opening Virgin". Two side panels open, each decorated with an angel.
This work, dating from the 13th or 14th century is one of only 2 surviving examples in Alsace, the other being in Kaysersberg.
- Altitude : 210m
- Distance to the nearest station (km) : 7
- Type of visits proposed : Free visit, Guided tour for groups with reservation
Opening times and days are liable to change according to circumstances. Please take all the necessary precautions.